Posts Tagged ‘Web Development’
.toolbox is a free online training program from Microsoft for designers and developers that focuses on the design and UX aspects of Silverlight using Expression Studio, as well as on User Experience best practices.
This program will be helpful for your designers to ramp up in the use of Expression Blend and become Silverlight-ready, as well as for your developers who want to ramp up on design composition and best UX practices. .toolbox will guide them through 100 to 400 level training modules. The curriculum offers approximately 36 hours of training content around Expression Blend and Silverlight and approximately 12 hours UX principles training content making .toolbox a comprehensive learning program. People on your team will be able to study the modules at their own pace and schedule.
.toolbox is a structured curriculum-based program that features two core learning tracks with materials that increase in difficulty to build individuals’ knowledge and understanding.
· In Design Scenarios, designers and developers learn to create dynamically-rich Silverlight applications using Expression Studio. They learn to add code-free functionality to designs by following step-by-step tutorials that illustrate how to create interactive user experiences.
· In Design Principles, designers and developers learn fundamental UX concepts (e.g., choosing the right colors, alignment, grids) along with tips in how to apply them.
Badges are earned and accumulated in both tracks upon successful completion of the evaluation found at the end of each level.
To Get Started
1. Go to .toolbox and sign up using your Windows Live ID
2. Visit the School section and explore the curriculum.
3. Select a module, watch the videos, and follow along using the provided guide and assets.
4. Take the evaluation for a completed level to achieve a badge.
5. Broadcast your achievements by posting to Twitter and Facebook.
· .toolbox Website | http://www.microsoft.com/design/toolbox
· .toolbox Twitter | http://www.twitter.com/designtoolbox
· .toolbox Facebook | http://www.facebook.com/pages/toolbox/349923567926
· .toolbox YouTube | http://www.youtube.com/designtoolbox
· .toolbox Promo Video in YouTube | http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5JNwiqpGqI
Edit 4/13/10 – I’ve received lots of interest about this program. If you would like to get access please use this code at the WebsiteSpark site: gTI7JHq51b
There a lots of great reasons to join WebsiteSpark, but in this difficult economy where preserving capital or your hard earned dollars is critical. The WebsiteSpark program can provide access to the latest tools and technologies in ensuring your success while also providing support, sales leads and other business development opportunities.
The WebsiteSpark Program – Key Highlights:
- Access to the latest version of Visual Studio Pro, Expression Studio/Web, and production licenses of Windows Server, and SQL Server.
- Two support incidents and access to other online support forums
- Inclusion in the WebsiteSpark Partner Catalog
- No Upfront Costs – there is a $100 exit fee after three years
- Designed for small <=10 employee web development/design consultancies, freelancers etc.
If you’re interested in joining please visit the http://www.websitespark.com for more details.
If you’re already a member here a few quick reference links to commonly asked questions.
|Quick Reference Questions||Resource|
|Get started with WebsiteSpark||WebsiteSpark: Get Started|
|Download the free stuff for WebsiteSpark||WebsiteSpark: Where to Download the Free Stuff|
|Build my server||WebsiteSpark: What You Need to Build Your Server (For Dev Server or Self Hosted Server)|
|Find and choose a hoster||WebsiteSpark: Find and Choose a Hoster|
|Increase my PHP applications performance||Windows Cache Extension for PHP|
|Add streaming video to my site||IIS Media Services 2.0|
|Improve my sites’ search engine results||IIS Search Engine Optimization Toolkit|
|Simplify the process of testing and debugging layout issues across different Web browsers and platforms||Expression Web SuperPreview|
|Experiment with IE8’s new Web Slices on my PHP site||PHP and IE8 Web Slices|
The Eclipse tools for Silverlight project, aka eclipse4SL, is an eclipse plug-in that enables Eclipse developers to use the Eclipse IDE to create applications that run on the Microsoft Silverlight runtime platform. It also enables collaboration on Silverlight projects between Eclipse (Java) developers, .NET developers, and web designers on both the Windows and MAC operating systems.
In partnership with Marco Tabini and Associates (MTA) (php|architect; CodeWorks; php|tek), we are excited to announce the launch of The Great PHP on Windows contest. Do you have what it takes to win? Of course you do :).
For complete details visit http://phparch.com/win
The Quick Summary:
- Write a new application designed to run in PHP on Windows using IIS—or make a significant contribution to an existing open-source project along the same lines
- The best application, selected jointly by a panel of experts and by our readers, will win a grand prize
which includes a 52″ Digital HD home entertainment system, as well as an all-expenses paid trip to php|tek 2010 in Chicago. Runner-up prizes include 2 XBox 360 Ultimate and subscriptions to php|architect.
- Not familiar with Windows? No worries—we have partnered with Applied Innovations to give you absolutely free hosting on a pre-configured virtual machine for the duration of the contest.
- Registration and submissions for the contest will be accepted October 19th, 2009 through February 28th, 2010 and with judging and public voting will occur March 1st – 31st.
- For the duration of the contest, Applied Innovations will provide free web hosting to all participants (shared) and a free VM to the first 60 participants who register.
- Contest is open to all U.S. residents excluding MTA, Applied Innovations, and Microsoft employees and affiliated individuals. (MTA is the official sponsor with AppliedI and Microsoft as promotion entities.)
The contest is open to residents of the United States only—but you can still win by voting, no matter where you are.
We announced the WebsiteSpark Program for professional Web Developers and Designers at no upfront cost! If you have 10 or fewer employees, learn more and sign up if you qualify! Website Spark is also making news. Here’s a link to a couple of articles in PCWorld and Tech Crunch.
I’ve outlined the program below, but please go to the site for additional details.
What does the program provide?
WebSiteSpark provides software licenses that you can use for three years at no cost. Once enrolled, you can download and immediately use the following software from Microsoft:
- 3 licenses of Visual Studio 2008 Professional Edition
- 1 license of Expression Studio 3 (which includes Expression Blend, Sketchflow, and Web)
- 2 licenses of Expression Web 3
- 4 processor licenses of Windows Web Server 2008 R2
- 4 processor licenses of SQL Server 2008 Web Edition
- DotNetPanel control panel (enabling easy remote/hosted management of your servers)
The Windows Server and SQL Server licenses can be used for both development and production deployment. You can either self-host the servers on your own, or use the licenses with a hoster. WebsiteSpark makes it easy to find hosters who are also enrolled in the program, and who can use your licenses to provide you with either dedicated or virtual dedicated servers to host your sites on.
In addition to software, WebsiteSpark provides partner opportunities to grow and build your business (including customer referrals through our partner programs). It also includes product support (including 2 professional support incidents) and free online training for the products.
Who can join the program?
WebSiteSpark is available to independent web developers and small web development companies. The only two requirements to join the program are:
- Your company builds web sites and web application on behalf of others.
- Your company currently has less than 10 employees.
If you meet these requirements you can visit the WebsiteSpark website and sign-up today.
As part of the enrollment process you can pick either a network referral partner (for example: a hoster or an existing Microsoft partner), or enter a referral code that you have received at an event or from a Microsoft employee. If you send mail to firstname.lastname@example.org you can get a referral code quickly. You can then use that code to enroll in the program on the WebsiteSpark website. Once enrolled you can immediately download and use the software, as well as begin to participate in the network/partner opportunities.
If you have any problems enrolling, you can also send me mail (email@example.com) and I can connect you with someone who can help.
What happens after the 3 years?
WebsiteSpark is a 3 year program. There is no obligation to continue to use any of the software after the three years is over, and there are no costs for the three years other than a $100 program fee at the end of the three years.
At the end of the three years, WebsiteSpark participants can optionally choose to purchase all of the software in the WebsiteSpark program via a $999/year package. This includes 3 copies of VS Professional, 1 copy of Expression Studio (including Blend and Sketchflow), 2 copies of Expression Web, and 4 processor licenses of Windows Web Server 2008 and 4 processor licenses of SQL Server Web edition that can be used for production deployment.
Alternatively, if you want to purchase only the production server licenses, you can take advantage of a $199/year offering that includes both 1 Windows Web Server processor license and 1 SQL Server Web edition processor license. You can buy the quantity you need of this package at $199/year each.
Coming at a time when the current economic climate is still tough, WebsiteSpark will help support developers and companies by providing the business resources, training, and software necessary for companies to get started and grow successful businesses on the Microsoft Web Platform.
Visit www.microsoft.com/web to learn more about the Microsoft Web Platform, as well as download and install the new Microsoft Web Platform Installer V2 we released today – which makes it really easy to quickly provision web servers and web development machines. You can then browse and download and use open source web applications from the Windows Web Application Gallery.